Japanese obi

My "MOTTAI NAI" project.

7:12 AM


Handmade by MashtonMashton
These cats are made from left over of Japanese obi in my other projects.  When I saw so much left over of material I thought "Oh What a MOTTAI NAI!" You know what does it mean? 

We have a word "MOTTAI NAI" in Japanese.  MOTAI NAI means regret of waste. 
My mother often told us "Eat all. Use all. Because MOTAI NAI!"


I grew up with MOTAI NAI culture so I don't like waste; Even in my projects.



More detail of Mottainai from Wikipedia 
Mottainai  is a Japanese term conveying a sense of regret concerning waste.The expression "Mottainai!" can be uttered alone as an exclamation when something useful, such as food or time, is wasted, meaning roughly "what a waste!" or "Don't waste." In addition to its primary sense of "wasteful", the word is also used to mean "impious; irreverent" or "more than one deserves".
Mottainai is an old Buddhist word, which has ties "with the Shinto idea that objects have souls." Mottainai has been referred to as a tradition, a cultural practice,  and an idea which is still present in Japanese culture, which has become an international concept.


Handmade by MashtonMashton

Handmade by MashtonMashton

I live with MOTTAI NAI culture. I made these kitty coasters. I like to remake, recycle and make things reborn with today's trend! 

Have a nice weekend Everyone!

M.xo






You Might Also Like

0 コメント